Good day, everyone! Today, I have a list of my top ten favorite characters from DC. Let’s jump right in.
- Batman – This one goes without saying. I write a column here at Sourcerer focusing on him. Aren’t you reading it yet?
- Sinestro – I briefly addressed his character in a previous post, but I have to say that Sinestro is my favorite villain who isn’t really a villain. He’s morally complex and good at his core, even if his sense of order seems a bit extreme to outsiders. Check out that earlier post to see more of my thoughts on him.
- The Martian Manhunter – While he might be seen by many as the Silver Age attempt to reinvent Superman, J’onn J’onzz holds his own as a powerful, compassionate, and endlessly fascinating superhero.
- Lex Luthor – Lex is another one of those villains (like Sinestro) who is simply more than that old label can allow for. Examined from his own perspective, his suspicions of the alien being that calls itself Superman make perfect sense. Check out Brian Azzarello’s Lex Luthor: Man of Steel to see what I mean.
- Superman – Considered by many to be the first superhero, Superman must have a spot on my list. Though he is sometimes written rather poorly, it’s a great treat when he is done justice. I am seriously looking forward to Geoff Johns taking over writing duties on his main title. Check out my top Superman stories since 2000 list to see more of my ideas on the character.
- The Joker – You can’t like Batman without liking the Joker. Well, I guess you can, but why? Check out my two part essay that lays out my thoughts on the Joker and his role in Batman’s mythology.
- Guy Gardner – Over-confident, angry, and always up for a fight, Guy is my favorite human Green Lantern and a great example for us all to follow.
- The Phantom Stranger – In-universe, this character has seen it all, though the New 52 has redefined him as a penitent Judas Iscariot and the legendary Wandering Jew. Perhaps one of the oldest and most powerful of DC’s mystical characters, the still mysterious Stranger must have a spot on this list. After all, it has been shown that he is one of the only beings left who remembers the world the way it was before the establishment of the New 52.
- Aquaman and Mera – It may be cheating a bit to list a tie, but I couldn’t pass up listing this pair together. During Geoff Johns’s run on Aquaman, these two became DC’s premiere power couple. Johns succeeded where few writers have—he made Aquaman cool.
- Stephanie Brown – And my final choice is my favorite (and fan favorite) Batgirl. Funny, spunky, and able to hold her own against even some of Batman’s rogues gallery, Stephanie is not to be taken lightly. It’s so good to see her rejoining DC in the New 52. Check out more of my thoughts on her in a post I did for Part Time Monster awhile back.
There you have it. What do you think of my list? Love it? Hate it? Meh? Discuss below, and feel free to offer up your own list as well. Don’t forget to support your local comic shops; you’ll find lots of back issues and trades featuring these characters and many others. Tweet me @quaintjeremy.