This song was on every jukebox in every dive south of the Mason-Dixon line and east of El Paso for a long time. It lasted into the late 90s.
I suggest listening while you read what I have to say about it.
- The woman in this story is one of my favorite characters in all of creative literature.
- This is a very Catholic song. I am not up enough on Ray Charles to know what his beliefs are, but we can talk about Catholic undertones, and overtones, and subtext all day long with it.
- Ray really outdoes himself in the last minute,and I wish I’d seen him live just once.
- It is not a real tragedy, because everyone involved knows exactly what they are doing.
- “If they take me back to Texas, they won’t take me back alive” is just awesome.
- This is so old, Willie said “phonograph record.” How cool is that?